Tour price: 27000 dram
This is an ideal place for visit in the south Armenia on way to Jermuk. Gndevank is found on lion declivity gorges yard Arpa, in approach villages Gndevaz. In X century princess of Syunik Sofiya has founded the priory for wanderers of the gorge. The Head was nominated priest Sarkis, but leader construction was an artist Egishe. The Priory is named by wanderer’s name Supana Gnduni. The Church of st. Stepanos was built in 931-936. The Building faced smooth covering by basalt, has cross-vaulting construction. Egishe has decorated the internal part of church with fresco, from which, on wall of the altar, hold out the piece of the picture of Jesus Christ. Symbols of four evangelists are portrayed inwardly on dome. The Princess Sofiya has solemnly celebrated the completion of the construction and on west wall of church has left the inscription. "Vayoc Dzor was a ring without stone, has built this and as jewel has placed on it".
In 999, the abbot Hristofor has built west vestibule of church. Along north wall of vestibule are located two square-wave rooms. The West room was shown by library. In 1008 for irrigation of the lands belonging to monastery was built channel 22km in. In 1604 persian shah Abbas has destroyed Gndevank. In 1691 abbot Petros archimandrite restore the church and has surrounded the monastery by wall escalated tower. To wall were built on dwelling and economic rooms. Much more likely, exactly in this period and was executed fresco with picture of Virgin Mary on wall of the north vestry.
This is one of the masterpiece armenian graphic arts late muddle ages.